On Campus Resources
Eating Disorders Team at SHS
The Student Health Services staff takes a comprehensive approach to evaluating and responding to students’ eating and body image concerns. The team includes professionals who have particular experience and interest in this area. The initial appointment is usually with a counselor, then recommendations are given for further treatment options.
- Counselors: Lindsey Herzog, MSW, LCSW.; Jackie Miller, M.S.W.
- Nutritionist: Connie Diekmann , R.D.
- Physician: Jennifer Hillman, M.D.
- Schedule first appointment by calling (314) 935-6695, schedule later appointments through shs.wustl.edu.
- For more information, please visit shs.wustl.edu/MentalHealth/Pages/Eating-Disorders.aspx
A student group that provides education and fosters awareness on issues concerning eating disorders and body image. The group organizes workshops and awareness weeks, provides resources, and trains peer educators.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Online/Off Campus Resources
National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders (ANAD)
A non-profit corporation that seeks to prevent and alleviate the problems of eating disorders, especially including anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and binge eating disorder. ANAD advocates for the development of healthy attitudes, bodies, and behaviors. The organization promotes eating disorder awareness, prevention and recovery through supporting, educating, and connecting individuals, families and professionals.
This hotline counseling for various eating disorders. It is made up of a national network of free support groups. It can make referrals to health care professionals and it specializes in the education and creation of prevention programs to promote self-acceptance and healthy lifestyles. Services provided include a helpline, online support forums and information, a referral list, educational materials, and more.
- Helpline – (630)577-1330 (Monday-Friday, 9:00 AM-5:00 PM). For those who prefer email instead of phoning, use email@example.com.
- Local Support Group – Thursday’s from 7:00-8:00 PM at Edgewood – St. John’s, 970 Executive Parkway, Creve Coeur, MO 63141. Contact Liz Fuhro at (314) 650-7174 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA)
A non-profit organization advocating on behalf of and supporting individuals and families affected by eating disorders. NEDA campaigns for prevention, improved access to quality treatment, and increased research funding to better understand and treat eating disorders. The organization works with partners and volunteers to develop programs and tools to help everyone who seeks assistance. Services provided include an information and referral helpline, support groups, educational materials, toolkits, online screening, and more.
- Helpline – 1-800-931-2237 (Monday-Thursday, 9:00 AM-9:00 PM, Friday, 9:00 AM-5:00 PM). For those who prefer online chat or email, this option is also available through the NEDA website.
An eating disorder treatment center that uses a combination of psychological, medical and nutritional therapies to create a safe and supportive environment for patients to learn and practice integration of new skills to restore health and balance in life. Various levels of care are provided, including an open support group. Website also includes resources and a referral list.
Specific Support Group information:
- Multi-Family Support Group
- Mondays; 4:30pm-5:30pm
Location: McCallum Place Conference Room
231 W. Lockwood Ave., Webster Groves, MO 63119
- For information on local support group, contact – Thursday’s from 6:30-7:30 PM, 231 W. Lockwood Ave. $10 charge for each session.
- Mondays; 4:30pm-5:30pm
- Open Eating Disorders Support Group:
- Open to anyone in the community struggling with disordered eating or in recovery from an eating disorder. It is designed to help those who feel they need extra support connect with others who understand.
- Tuesdays; 5:15pm to 6:15pm
Location: McCallum Place St. Louis Therapy Suites
231 W. Lockwood Ave., Webster Groves, MO
- For more information, visit McCallum’s website at: www.mccallumplace.com or call (314)968-1900
Webster Wellness Professionals
- (314) 737-4070
- 9:30am – 5:30pm
- 231 W. Lockwood Ave., Suite 202
Multi-disciplinary team of psychotherapists, dietitians, primary care physicians, and psychiatrists with experience in the treatment of eating disorders, healthy weight control, body image disturbances, and compulsive exercise. Comprehensive evaluations and integrated treatment of related emotional, psychiatric, and medical disorders.
Castlewood Treatment Center for Eating Disorders
Residential treatment, stabilization program, day treatment, step down program, intensive outpatient program, outpatient services, support groups. Utilizes a uniquely personal approach to stabilize patients and address underlying problems such as depression, anxiety, OCD, social anxiety, etc.
- For more information, visit Castlewood’s website at: http://www.castlewoodtc.com/ or call 888-822-8938
Overeaters Anonymous (OA)
- (505) 891-2664
Fellowship of individuals that offers a program of recovery from compulsive eating using the 12 Steps of OA. Addresses physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being.