On Campus Resources
Nutritionist Connie Diekman, M. Ed, RD, LD, FADA, American Dietetic Association Past President
Background in counseling, specialization in eating disorders. Both a nutritionist and counselor. Can counsel in office, and will also do interventions on behalf of friends.
- Schedule appointments through http://shs.wustl.edu.
Eating Disorders Team at SHS
The Student Health Services staff takes a comprehensive approach to evaluating and responding to students’ eating and body image concerns. The team includes professionals who have particular experience and interest in this area. The initial appointment is usually with a counselor, then recommendations are given for further treatment options.
- Counselors:Lindsey Herzog, MSW, LCSW.; Jackie Miller, M.S.W.
- Nutritionist: Connie Diekmann , R.D.
- Physician: Jennifer Hillman, M.D.
- Schedule first appointment by calling (314) 935-6695, schedule later appointments through shs.wustl.edu.
- For more information, please visit shs.wustl.edu/MentalHealth/Pages/Eating-Disorders.aspx
A student group that provides education and fosters awareness on issues concerning eating disorders and body image. The group organizes workshops and awareness weeks, provides resources, and trains peer educators.
Off Campus/Online Resources
National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders (ANAD)
A non-profit corporation that seeks to prevent and alleviate the problems of eating disorders, especially including anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and binge eating disorder. ANAD advocates for the development of healthy attitudes, bodies, and behaviors. The organization promotes eating disorder awareness, prevention and recovery through supporting, educating, and connecting individuals, families and professionals.
This hotline counseling for various eating disorders. It is made up of a national network of free support groups. It can make referrals to health care professionals and it specializes in the education and creation of prevention programs to promote self-acceptance and healthy lifestyles. Services provided include a helpline, online support forums and information, a referral list, educational materials, and more.
- Helpline – (630)577-1330 (Monday-Friday, 9:00 AM-5:00 PM). For those who prefer email instead of phoning, use firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Local Support Group – Thursday’s from 7:00-8:00 PM at Edgewood – St. John’s, 970 Executive Parkway, Creve Coeur, MO 63141. Contact Liz Fuhro at (314) 650-7174 or email@example.com.
National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA)
A non-profit organization advocating on behalf of and supporting individuals and families affected by eating disorders. NEDA campaigns for prevention, improved access to quality treatment, and increased research funding to better understand and treat eating disorders. The organization works with partners and volunteers to develop programs and tools to help everyone who seeks assistance. Services provided include an information and referral helpline, support groups, educational materials, toolkits, online screening, and more.
- Helpline – 1-800-931-2237 (Monday-Thursday, 9:00 AM-9:00 PM, Friday, 9:00 AM-5:00 PM). For those who prefer online chat or email, this option is also available through the NEDA website.
An eating disorder treatment center that uses a combination of psychological, medical and nutritional therapies to create a safe and supportive environment for patients to learn and practice integration of new skills to restore health and balance in life. Various levels of care are provided, including an open support group. Website also includes resources and a referral list
- Support group – Thursday’s from 6:30-7:30 PM, 231 W. Lockwood Ave. $10 charge for each session.
Webster Wellness Professionals
Affiliated with McCallum Place, Webster Wellness Professionals is a multi-disciplinary team of psychotherapists, dietitians, primary care physicians and psychiatrists with experience and expertise in the treatment of eating disorders, healthy weight control, body image disturbances, and compulsive exercise. They offer comprehensive evaluation and integrated, evidence-based treatment of related emotional, psychiatric and medical disorders. Services are provided on an outpatient basis.
For more information from SHS, please visit shs.wustl.edu/HealthAndWellness/HealthTopics/Pages/Body-Image-And-Disordered-Eating.aspx